Explore South Carolina like a true local. The coast is full of hidden little beaches you and your family will love. The Sands beach in South Carolina is the perfect place to have a more private secluded experience, and you can even park your car on the sand.
Where is it?
The Sands beach is located in the tiny town of Port Royal, just one and half hours away from downtown Charleston. It’s a unique destination where beachgoers will have the opportunity to have a picnic right out of their car, spend the whole day walking up and down the beach, and soaking in calm waters. There are no riptides or big waves as it isn’t an oceanfront beach.
Secret tip: There’s a parking lot at the beach if you want to leave your car there; however, driving your vehicle into it is also permitted.
What can I do around The Sands beach?
- These are just some ideas to inspire your next trip:
- Walk along the 0.5-mile boardwalk
- Pick up shells and shark teeth along the beach
- Spot dolphins along Battery Creek
- Climb the observation tower
- Visit the Cypress Wetlands, Rookery, and Amphitheater
- Learn about different sea animals at the Port Royal Sound Maritime Center